Wednesday 10 July 2013

Reading the Summer Away

This blog? It's really just a glorified Mama Brag, so prepare yo'self.

This summer, my Beautiful B agreed to be a part of not one, not two, but three reading challenges. Yes, some of the books will overlap, but the point is that she's agreed to read just under 40 books this summer, most of them by herself.

via


Reading Challenge #1: Austin Public Library's Summer Reading Program
For this challenge, she's got to keep a log of which books she's read and once she meets her goal, she can turn in her completed list and she'll get a free paperback book from the Library to keep! I asked her how many books she wanted to read per week, and she said 4. I multiplied that by 8, to cover two months of time, so her goal for APL's SRP is 32 books of her choosing. I'm making her read most of them, but I've also read one or two with her.

Reading Challenge #2: Barnes & Noble's Imagination Destination Program
For this challenge, she had to read 8 books of her choosing and keep a log of them. Additionally, she had to make recommendations on who should read each book. Once the list was complete, her "prize" was  free book, based on her age group.

This challenge is actually done already! B chose the classic RAMONA QUIMBY, AGE 8 for her free book. I can't wait to read it with her.

Reading Challenge #3: Book People's Give Me Summer, Give Me Books Program
This program is a bit more structured than the other two, in that Book People has a list of recommended books according to the child's age. Granted, B's skillset is a bit more advanced than some of the books for K-2, but it's good practice for her, so I don't mind. I've gotten 4 of the recommended 6 books on their way to us from the Library and I'll let her read two other books of her choosing. Once she finishes this challenge, the reward is a $5 gift card to Book People, which we'll let her use on a book of her choosing.

We'll get our girl a library of her own yet. ;)

For the record, I, too, and part of a reading challenge for the summer. It's hosted through the APL as well, and for every 5 books I read, I am entered into a drawing for some pretty sweet prizes. I'm also still trucking along on my Goodreads Challenge.

What are you reading this summer?

MWAH,
Ang

1 comment: