Friday 14 June 2013

Commitments. (Skinny Bitch or Bust, #2)

Well, I've done it.

I've signed up for Beach Body's Combat challenge. It's centered on Les Mills' Combat workout, which is a series of mixed martial arts, somewhat choreographed moves. The focus is toning and strength, and because it's my goal to be svelte (isn't that a good word?) instead of skinny (because really, skinny's never going to be an accurate descriptor when you have shoulders and hips), this feels right up my alley.

Yes, it's expensive up front. Yes, if I keep up the Shakeology stuff, it will be a monthly expense that I'll need to incur. But guess what: I'm here to tell you all that I'm making a commitment, right now, so that I can deflect that cost and hopefully break a few rather bad habits in the process. And here they are:

1) No more Starbucks (admittedly, I don't go all that often anymore, but still).
2) More importantly, no more snacks at Barnes and Nobles on the weekends. (Please note that there's no way in hell I'll ever stop going to B&N itself, but I can save the cash I spend there every weekend, for sure.)
3) No more eating at the cafe at work for more than about once a week.

(It goes without saying that I'll have to cut back on eating out, in general (which, again, doesn't actually happen that often, but the point is, it happens, and if it doesn't, that's money saved.)

That, in and of itself, will save the majority of this initial, up-front cost. It would cover my entire monthly commitment if I keep going with the Shakeology portion of this challenge.

I've taken "before" pictures. I'll be taking measurements on 6/30, and intend to take regular measurements after that. I've gotten my husband to agree that he's also going to try the work out, so we can move forward on this together.

I've existed long enough in that, "eh, I look fine" phase. I want to feel (even more) confident. I want to work toward something. I want to be where I want to be in the next year or so, if possible. I want my husband to see me at my best, and because he loves me, he wants that, too. I want to be fit NOW, while my child is small, so that I'm healthy and have the energy it will take to run right alongside her.

I've found my motivation in Pink. Yes, the singer. Laugh it up, but look at this woman's physique:

 
via
via
No, I don't want to be QUITE that ripped, but you get the point, right? Toned everywhere, and she has a toddler at home. Besides, I generally think she's pretty bad ass.

Anyway. So. Challenge begins 7/1. By the end of June, I plan to get back to drinking water the way I should and want to have largely kicked sweet stuff to the curb (that last one will be difficult, but I can do it). Yes, there will be some cheats - there are a couple VIP birthdays in July, including my daughter's 5th - but that's the point: they'll be cheats, not regular occurences.

There's been a quiet shift. I can feel it. This is going to make a big difference.

And quite frankly, I can't wait.

4 comments:

  1. You.are.awesome. my dear :) Best of luck to you in this endeavor. I offer my support and hope my invites to b&n and Trudy's do not derail you too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Never. Dinner salad will still work, but maybe I'll need to drop down to just a margarita until I see the progress I want. ;)

      You're stuck with me, toots.

      Delete
  2. You go girl! Kicking it up a notch is always hard.You are worth the effort and added expense. You can do it. When you want to skip a work out or eat junk - call me and I'll talk you into workibg out and remind you that junk isn't really worth your stomach space.
    You will not only be svelte but you will feel so much better mentally. You are going to rock this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally gonna call you, Sheesha. The biggest thing for me will be planning worthwhile lunches. I tend to be lazy about that and never bring enough with me to work. I'm thinking about cooking 3-4 chicken breasts a week and shredding them, and bringing stuff for a simple salad I can toss the chicken over this next week. We'll see. All I know is I'm gonna be close to where I want to be by the time I turn 31. The end.

      Delete