Friday 5 October 2012

fast 5: please go away

fast 5 will be a thing where i just blog a random list. i don't know how often i'll make said lists, but this one's been in my brains for the last few days, so here we go:
 
 
5 bands or songs i would like a reprieve from:
after living in austin: anything by nirvana
after living in nashville: anything by pearl jam
(apparently every major city's radio staff has a favorite grunge band)
young the giant, "cough syrup"
cage the elephant, "shake me down"
fun., "we are young"


dear every djs everywhere:

these songs are dead. after all, the youngest of these is from what, 2010? ok, maybe early, early 2011. why-oh-why are these still on heavy rotation?

i'm not saying to never play these songs/bands again. but my ears would appreciate a reprieve so that maybe, just maybe, i can start to like these songs and bands again. even six months would suffice. until this happens, please trust that i will either change the station or, if that is not an option, i will roll my eyes for the entirety of any of the aforementioned (with rare exception).

respectfully, a fan of a lot of current music,
b helm

p.s. bands with punctuation in their names are ridiculous, though (for right now), i'm ok with "some nights."
p.s.s. i do love me some dave grohl, and his attachment to nirvana is not lost on me, but really, enough with "smells like teen spirit," guys. really.


--

which songs do you wish radio would forget about, temporarily or not?

2 comments:

  1. I will respectfully disagree about Nirvana. IMO, they are one of the all time greatest rock bands and I love that they are still in heavy rotation. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a song I crank up and belt out anytime it's on. :)

    Currently, there is nothing that really gets on my nerves, as far as being payed out goes. More than likely that's because I don't listen to the radio that much. Awhile back though I felt my ears would bleed if I heard Adele's Set Fire to the Rain one more time. Loved the song at first, wasn't epic enough to keep my interest after the millionth time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, there's no denying that Nirvana is one of the best bands in history. I'm just saying, I'm pretty sure 101x plays them every half hour, and it's bit of overkill for me.

    Full disclosure: I was initially going to list Red Hot Chili Peppers, but decided not to because they have continued to release new music since 1990-whatever, even if I haven't necessarily enjoyed their stuff so much in recent years (really, since the single "Dani California" which came out in '06.) ;)

    And I TOTALLY get it about Adele. OY.

    ReplyDelete