Wednesday 17 October 2012

music & me: zz ward

here's a thing you should know about me: i'm a bit of a music snob.

not in the conventionalway, though. what i mean is that it's highly unlikely that i'll label any singer that can't *actually* sing as someone whom i either take seriously or call my favorite. that said, we all know britney spears couldnt sing her way out of a bucket, BUT the girl makes some killer tunes, so i like her, because if you tell me that you can't enjoy a well-crafted pop song, well, maybe i worry for your humanity.

here's another thing you should know about me: it's rare for me to love something immediately. usually, it takes some time for things to grow on me. i might like it a lot, but usually, it takes a few listens. there are exceptions (which i'll probably ramble about in another blog post), but... yeah.

so anyway. yesterday, my friend patrick linked me to this video.

and i loved it.

so here's my recommendation for ZZ WARD:

this girl can blow, she's pretty, and (according to her bio in various places), she plays a handful of instruments. i personally love the attitude she brings to her songs. "put the gun down" is like a sassier version of "jolene," "til the casket drops" is an crazy intense song of devotion, and she sounds great live (which is a big test for me, as a fellow singer). also, her stuff translates to acoustic wonderfully. I kind of think anybody who wishes adele wasn't such a classy broad, lyrically, will fall in love with ms. ward, because this girl lays it all out there.

sounds like: Adele meets hip hop and a little grit


video for "put the gun down"
 
 
acoustic version, "til the casket drops"
 


i can't lie: i snagged this album on itunes last night as soon as i heard a couple more of her tracks on spotify. and, i learned that she's playing here in nashville in a couple weeks, and i've snagged a couple tickets, so i will be in attendance. super excited.

i love her sound, i love her aesthetic, and i am thoroughly impressed with this debut (!!).

new tunes ftw!

No comments:

Post a Comment